Thursday 13 January 2011

First Aid Training

Firstly, let me wish you all a Happy New Year.  I've not posted for a while so I thought I'd best put in an appearance.

I've been a First Aider for most of my 12 years service with my employer and today I completed a two day refresher course.  Provided by our Occupational Health Service, we have to attend for two days every three years and complete an assessment to keep our certification up-to-date (originally gained by attending a four day course).  I think it is by far one of the best courses I have completed as it is such an important skill to have in your life, not just at work.  I'm also lucky in the fact that I've done it through my employer free of charge.

To most people, it seems really frightening to be able to administer first aid and this is why they are reluctant to come forward and volunteer to be a First Aider.  I can assure you that it isn't.  It is really simple and the majority of it is just plain common sense.  Most First Aiders will probably tell you that as you go through the course and refresher courses, you do retain alot of the knowledge.  This was my fourth refresher course on top of the original four day course and the attendees were more or less telling the instructor what was needed in each scenario.

If you are unsure about whether you would like to attend First Aid training, please give it a try.  You never know, it might come in handy one day.

I've included this clip from the British Red Cross about one of the fundamental parts you would come across on any First Aid training.



I'll get down off my Soap Box now.

No comments:

Post a Comment